HOW TO CARE FOR TAPE EXTENSIONS
Thank you for purchasing SpellBound Hair Boutique hair extensions. Our extensions can last many months with a proper hair care routine and using high quality products. In order for you to maintain soft manageable hair extensions, the following guide contains important information we recommend. Failure to read or follow this guide may result in a shorter lifespan of your SpellBound Hair Boutique hair extensions.
The lifespan of your hair extensions will depend on the aftercare - with no care they will last 2-4 months. With proper care they will last 9-12+ months. With all hair extensions there is never a definitive lifespan on any type of hair extensions due to them being a consumable product. Human hair extensions are made from Remy human hair that is sourced ethically to create our hair extensions. Each pack of hair will never be 100% identical to each other and the lifespan of the hair will vary depending on color and how it is maintained. The average life of hair extensions is usually 9-12 months with proper care.
We do not recommend any color on hair extensions. Although you can color the hair extensions, this will shorten the usage of your hair extensions and void the warranty. Any coloring of extensions will have a shorter life span due to the color process. Once hair is colored it voids the warranty. Toners can also damage the cuticle which will affect the lifespan of your hair extensions - use with caution.
Excessive washing and styling will damage the cuticle and decrease the lifespan of your hair extensions. We recommend that you use SpellBound Hair Boutique aftercare products and only wash the hair 2-3 times a week. A weekly hair mask treatment is required to maintain the soft feel of the hair extensions.
Use caution when swimming - apply a hair mask before swimming to add an extra layer of protection. We recommend to avoid salt water - it can discolor hair and leave your hair dry. Note that chlorine water will also damage hair extensions and change the color. UV rays will dry and discolor hair extensions.
You must use good hair care products to extend the life of your extensions to ensure that they remain manageable. If you do not use good products, you will experience matting, tangling and your extensions will swell up having a frizzy hair look. Our specifically formulated aftercare products will give your hair extensions extra nourishment as we use only the finest ingredients, keeping the extensions revitalized. Hair care must be paraben and sulfate free so it does not strip the extensions and a hair mask must be used weekly to hydrate the hair.
Heat: Using excess heat on hair extensions will reduce their lifespan so you should allow hair to air dry when you can. Take care of your hair extensions as you would your own hair and remember that like your natural hair, your extensions can be easily damaged with too much heat. Use a thermal therapy spray when styling with heat appliances.
Brushing: The extensions are attached to your natural hair and therefore pulling them can result in pulling out your natural hair. When brushing - hold the top of your hair and brush the hair. Be sure to use a hair extension brush.
Sleeping: Never go to sleep with wet hair extensions and always make sure your extensions are completely dry to avoid tangling. When sleeping, braid your hair extensions to avoid tangling.
We recommend that all hair extensions are applied by a professional hair extension specialist and that a consultation occurs before you agree to any hair extension application. Unfortunately there are hairstylists the are not properly trained and this will lead to improper application and possible damage to your own hair. We advise all our customers contact SpellBound Hair Boutique to find a professional near you or you can do so by logging onto our website and using our salon locator.
Not everyone is suitable for hair extensions - please consult with your hairstylist.
“My hair extensions feel dry”
If you do not use a hair mask and/or hair serum and you use excessive heat your hair extensions will become dry. That is because hair extensions do not contain the natural oils that your own scalp produces to prevent your own hair from becoming dry. Using hair serum, brushing your hair 2-3 times a day, and a weekly mask are required. Coloring extensions, swimming, excessive exposure to sun, even water from your shower may have minerals and a “hard water” system that all can make the hair feel dry.
Note: Any hair that has been treated with color is at risk to over processing due to the fact the extensions have already been colored. We do not guarantee any hair extensions which have been colored and once colored, cannot be returned.
Please note: We cannot exchange or refund any extensions which have been colored.
“My hair extensions have changed color”
Please note: fantasy hair colors may fade and they are void for replacement or warranty. This may include but are not limited to: red colors, silvers, and all pastels.
“My hair extensions are matting and/or bunching up”
Matting is a result of damage to the cuticle on your hair extensions from improper care. For instance, if the hair has been damaged by heat or bleaching or any chemical hair process, the cuticles will become damaged and rub together causing matting. The use of incorrect styling tools, not brushing regularly and washing the hair extensions too frequently can lead to matting.
The “bunching up” effect is from the cuticles being stripped. The hair can also look and feel dull and dry and it looks as if the hair has expanded when washing; this is due to damage to the cuticle. Improper aftercare and excessive heat are common factors in causing this. The hair will need a deep conditioning treatment to help restore damaged hair.
SPELLBOUND HAIR BOUTIQUE RETURN POLICY
All hair extensions are final sale but we do guarantee the quality of our hair.
Worn hair will only be considered for an exchange if it is within 3 months of purchase. Any issues noted after this will not be considered. Once tested and inspected you will receive a pro-rated credit for the hair extensions at the time of physical receipt of the item so we can test and inspect. We reserve the right to issue a partial credit or full credit which will be based upon factors such as length of time the extensions were worn and used and the length of time between the original date of purchase.
We will only accept back within 3 months of your purchase and professionally installed hair extensions will require that we speak with your hairstylist to confirm proper hair care instructions were given and followed. There will be no exceptions to the 3 month time period.
If after wearing the extensions within 3 months of purchase you feel as if your hair extensions have become unmanageable with all the proper hair care being used we will take the hair back to test. In order to properly assess the issue we will need the hair extensions back to provide to our quality control team. Any hair returned to be tested for quality issues must have the original proof of purchase for both the hair extensions and proof of use/purchase of our hair care products.
Hair extensions will not be replaced right away - we must get the hair back and test it before making any replacements, if any.
Now that you've invested in high quality hair you want to make sure that you care for your extensions so they last. Hair extensions do not contain natural oils as your natural hair, so therefore you must take extra time to care for your extensions and use hair care specially formulated for your SpellBound Hair Boutique hair extensions. Our hair is of the highest quality, but if you do not take care of them the hair can become dry and will not last as long. Particularly with tape extensions, you need to make sure you take time every day to care for your hair. Be sure to follow these tips so you can get the longest wear out of your hair extensions. When taken care of properly our hair extensions can be used up to three applications.
Tips for wearing seamless tape in hair extensions:
- Keep your hair extensions clean; tape extensions can slip when you have added oil or product buildup in the roots. That doesn't mean you have to wash them everyday, but be sure to use dry shampoo to remove oil and product buildup in between washes.
- It is important that you do not use products with high silicone or sulphates as this may affect the bonds.
- Keep the hair untangled by taking time to brush the hair every day.
- Every 6-12 weeks, your hair extensions will need to be reapplied to move the bonds closer to the scalp and to keep your hair healthy. The amount of time depends on how long and how fast your own hair grows. The faster your hair grows, the more frequent you will have to reapply hair to have a better hold.
- Do not comb or brush the hair extensions while hair is wet without holding at the roots, this will cause the tape to slip out.
- Never sleep with wet hair extensions. Always make sure the hair is dry and pulled up or preferably put into a braid to keep hair from tangling at night.
- Brush the hair with a hair extension brush several times a day. Be sure to brush properly, holding the roots to prevent pulling on the bonds. Use a wide tooth comb to remove tangles if needed.
- Use high quality hair care products but don’t overdo it, too much hair care product can cause build up and tangling over time. So you want to be careful with the amount of product you use. Never use any products containing oil, alcohol or ethanol as this can damage the hair extensions and also wear down on the adhesive.
- Use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner as well as 100% natural hair products to keep hair extensions in good condition.
- It is best to use a hair mask once a week to revive your hair extensions. We recommend using a conditioning treatment on the mid-length to ends of your hair extensions. We recommend our luxe Argan Oil SpellBound hair mask. Note: never use any oils or conditioners on the roots where your tape extensions are bonded.
- Never lighten the hair extensions-bleaching on any type of hair always ruins the quality making hair dry and brittle. If you want to color hair extensions only go within 2 shades DARKER. Use semi or demi hair color only. You can also use our shade #613 and color that to your color of choice. Note when coloring hair extensions they process fast so check on them.
- When working out with hair extensions or swimming with hair extensions be sure to remove excess sweat and chlorine after working out.
- When using hot tools be sure to use a heat protectant spray. The more you use heat on your hair, the shorter the life span of the hair extensions.
- When using serums or oils avoid contact with the tape, use on mid-length to ends only. We use natural products such as Hair Therapy daily leave in treatment on the ends of the extensions to keep the hair healthy and shiny over time.
- Tape in extensions are not best for those who have lost a significant amount of hair due to any illnesses or for those that have extreme hair thinning. Consult with your stylist about another option.
- Since a person’s average natural hair loss is between 50-100 strands per day you will see a small amount of naturally released hairs in between the tape bonds at time of removal. This is normal and should not be interpreted as hair loss due to wearing hair extensions. You lose hair every day naturally, but when you have tape extensions the hair remains in between the tape bonds.
Note: Excessive sweat from working out, steam baths, saunas, and sea salt swimming may lessen the longevity of the extensions. Precautions should be taken to reduce the amount of exposure to these activities if you want your tape extensions to last the full 12 weeks.